Thursday 16 June 2011

Flower wrist cuff pincushion


I am constantly flitting between the sewing machine in my office, the ironing board in the sitting room, and the dining room table for pattern cutting, etc, and en route I inevitably misplace my sewing paraphernalia.  Well, no more!  May I present my new BFF in the sewing room - my wrist pin cushion!  Barely two days old, and already I know we're going to be inseparable through sewing triumphs and disasters for years to come. 
Following the pincushion cuff tutorial at Keyka Lou, I used a scrap of Amy Butler fabric for the pincushion itself, and a cute interiors fabric from Ikea for the wristband.  I slipped a piece of card (held in place with double-sided tape) inside the wristband behind where the pincushion would sit before stitching closed, so no pin-perforated wrists for me!  It seemed a bit tricky to neatly stitch the pincushion onto the stiff cuff, so I did a teensy cheat and hot-glued it on, which seems plenty sturdy enough so far.  The only other change I made was to sew the velcro on lengthways instead of widthways, to make it more adjustable for a perfect fit.
My mind is now racing at the thought of what other sewing equipment I can carry about my person to save even further time and exasperation.  I am definitely going to attach some small scissors to a ribbon to hang around my neck, but what after that?  A sewing utility belt of some kind?  A glue gun holster??  A step too far maybe...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails