Saturday 9 April 2011

Overcoming my dressmaking fears II


With the pattern spread out in front of me, the theory started to become clearer.

I carefully took my measurements, and, after initially swallowing my pride at suddenly gaining a couple of dress sizes (!), I traced around the size 12. I am basically an hourglass shape, but the pattern allows for the hip measurement to be a couple of inchs larger than the bust, so I traced around the size 10 from the hips down, and "blended" the outlines together between the hips and waist.

I know I am short waisted, so after holding the cut out tissue pattern up to my body, I estimated a 1" adjustment to the waist, which was made by folding and taping the pattern at the appropriate line.

So far so good.

Now came the difficult part. Being bothered to make a toile to test my pattern. I'm usually more of a jump right in kind of a person, but feeling acutely aware of how out of my depth I am, I dug out some spare bed sheets and got on with the task at hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails