Tuesday 5 April 2011

Overcoming my dressmaking fears


I've always loved making stuff. I'm usually keen to give anything a go, but my creative focus always returns to sewing in the end.

The one thing I have always shied away from, however, is making clothes for myself, which in a way seems ridiculous as I am mildly obsessed with clothes.

I think I have previously been deterred because I always assumed that a handmade dress wouldn't suit or fit me well enough. I am the kind of person who slip stitches trouser pockets closed to give a better line, or takes up a skirt hem by just 1" for a better proportion. And the older I get, the pickier I become about the fit of my clothes.

What hadn't occurred to me is that this pickiness is precisely the reason why I should be making my own clothes.

I knew that it was possible to adjust commercial patterns, but it all seemed a bit hit and miss, not to mention intimidating. Spurred on by my latest fabric purchase though, along with a healthy dose of curiosity I have unearthed my easy New Look 6643 pattern (purchased some months ago and promptly filed under "D" for "Don't even think about it"), ready for some serious action, more on which in the next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails